How to install a Garbage Disposal
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
Before Installing the Garbage Disposal:
Make sure to read the safety and installation instructions that come with your unit before commencing
- Turn off the power at the electrical box (if your unit plugs into one)
- Unplug the unit
- Shut off the water to the sink
- Take a picture of the old set up (before you take everything apart)
- Place a basin under the disposer
- Locate the discharge tube and detach it
- Disconnect the dishwasher drain if you have one
- Now remove the old disposer with a disposer wrench. This wrench should have been included with your new unit
- Slip the disposer wrench in and turn counter-clockwise
- If it is hardwired, lay the disposer on its side, open the electrical plate and disconnect the wires and then remove the unit
- Next, check the parts that are still connected to the sink
- If they are still in good condition you can usually just attach the new unit directly to them with a mounting ring
**If replacing mount**
- Loosen the mounting screws
- Then pry the snap ring out to release the mounting ring
- Now we use a flat head screw driver to pry off the backup flange and the gasket
- Pull the sink flange from above and clean the entire area of old putty and grime
- To replace the sink flange, lay down a bead of putty – about half an inch diameter rope around
- The press the flange into place
- Now, put a cloth overt he flange and place a weight (like your new disposer) over it – just to hold it in place.
- Next, stack your mounting ring, screw heads down, backup flange and gasket all together and place them over the sink flange outlet.
- Hold them all in place with the snap ring
- Tighten the mounting screws alternating each screw a few turns at a time
**End of Replacing Mount**
- If you’re connecting to a dishwasher, you will need to knock-out the dishwasher inlet (don’t forget to remove the plug you knocked out from the disposer)
- Next, hook up the electrical connections
- Hang the unit by aligning the mounting rings – turning the lower ring until it is tight
- Now re-attach all the pipes, including the dishwasher
- If pipes are too long, cut them. If they are too short, use an extension.
- Clean the excess putty off the sink flange
- Install the bethel
- Next put a basin under your connections
- Turn the water on and test for leaks
- If everything looks good, turn on the disposer and test again
- Good Luck!
If you need to buy a unit, please take a look at our garbage disposal reviews